Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Choos Choos and Tutus: A Co-ed Party

I remember one year, when my parents were moving from Japan back to the states, they decided to combine my birthday party (January) with my brothers' (both in October).  It was so awesome to have a big party and to enjoy a sleepover with my friends and to get a lot of awesome gifts and to have triple the number of friends at the party...  Islanders, I still remember a lot of my gifts (the life-sized Barbie, a cool hot pink giant lock-shaped safe with a secret combination).  It was an awesome birthday... the birthday song with *like* 50 kids was so awesome!  If I recall correctly, it was hosted late summer before we relocated in late September.  The combined party itself was epic but, when my actual birthday came around several months later, it was a major letdown... I think I may have gotten a cake but it certainly wasn't what I had become accustomed to.  No presents, no party, no friends... just a reminder of the epic party hosted months prior.

It was at that moment, my disdain for combined birthdays was born.  I prefer not to combine December babies with Christmas or sibling birthdays (unless they're within two weeks) or really anything; I like the idea of giving each birthday honoree his/her due.  

Despite my personal experience, I gained a new appreciation for combined birthdays during the planning and execution of a recent co-ed birthday party.


Avery was born on the same day as Mason's first birthday party.  Their birthdays are days apart.  Their parents share families and friends so, it was natural to combine their birthday parties.

 

In conversation with Amalia, Avery's mom, she mentioned there were a number of typical themes on the list but the parents decided on a final theme that was unique and different.  I got the colors and I offered to make the tags for the favors.  I decided to create two separate designs for the favor bags, one for each guest of honor.

The tags read as follows: "It was TUTU sweet of you to come to celebrate Avery turning one!" and "Chugga Chugga Thank you for celebrating Mason turning two!"

I came up with the original wording and design based on a few inspiration images from Ryan, my sis-in-love and Mason's mommy.

 

It was a great time working with both moms.  It was fun to see the theme come together via text but it was super cool to see so many cute ideas on party day.  After walking through the front door, guests had the awesome view of a small entry shelf and the dining room.

 

Both areas were decked out with simple yet adorable party elements.

 

 

 

Something about pennants and over-sized number balloons makes my heart smile :)


The cake table was anchored with both high chairs.


I picked up the cake from Misty, of Girl Meets Cake.  She came up with a split design for the cake and it was super cute!



With the candles lit:


The sweets table was super cute too!


In addition to the cute tracks down the center, they incorporated fun candies, cracker jack boxes and more.


I love the kids' names in blocks.




I added the water bottles and the table was complete.



The food was simple and delicious.  A few dishes were equally as yummy as they were CUTE!




We had a great time!  


There were lots of cute kids, awesome family, and great friends.  


You could feel the love for these two beautiful babies.

 

Everyone gathered for the birthday song.

 

Then, we cut that amazing cake.  Rather than smash cakes, we cut slices and I think I prefer the slices to the now-normal smash cakes.


Mason went to WORK on his slice.  No hands, no fork -- just face to cake.



Every guest left with a cute favor bag topped with one of the tags  I designed! 


When it's possible, it's great to share the expense with others for events like this.  In the case of Mason and Avery, they share family, friends, birthday weekends, and more; it made perfect sense to combine their birthday parties.


I hope you enjoyed the pretty babies and the fun ideas for this cute party theme.


Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.