Thursday, October 22, 2015

Day 22: $6 Chili Recipe

So, I know you don't believe it but YES, the Dollar Tree (DT) sells chili.


AND NO.  I don't care how great the reviews are, I'm NOT talking about canned chili!  This month's challenge has forced me to LOOK for cool things at DT.  It's been fun! While searching, I scanned the food aisles and this McCormick seasoning packet caught my eye.  

Hmm, skillet chili.  Sounds interesting enough...  The package said all I needed was a 1 can of tomatoes, 1 can of red or kidney beans and a pound of ground beef.  I made ours with a can of fire roasted tomatoes (purchased from DT), a can of Goya brand kidney beans (purchased from DT), a pound of ground turkey (purchased for $1.89 from Aldi), and I served it over white rice (purchased from DT).  That's $4 at DT and $2 from Aldi for the meat.  A meal for 4 adults for less than $10?!  Unheard of!


I followed all of the directions only adding a little garlic powder and finely diced onions after my turkey was browned in the pan.  OMG! I was surprised by the flavor; this stuff was SO good!

Bonus: I served it in one of my blates (remember? bowl+plate = blate!).

DT locations with refrigerator sections sell most of your favorite chili fixin's (jalapenos, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.) so, if your budget allows and your preference is to do it, feel free to jazz it up!  Whatever you do, trust a name like McCormick and give this recipe a try!  Other ideas for this recipe include:

- Add 4 cups of cheese and finely sliced jalapenos for a great dip!
- Add macaroni for a homemade dish similar to hamburger helper
- Serve over corn bread (I love the idea of muffins or mini corn breads for entertaining)
- This is a thicker chili recipe.  Add it to a bowl surrounded by chips for a cool take on party serving!
- Cook then spoon into a cupcake pan (with lining) and top with a biscuit for a cute presentation


- Prepare 1 (8 1/2 oz) box of corn muffin mix according to instructions, mix in 1 cup of cheese. When your chili is done, place dollops of mix on top.  Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes (until muffins are cooked).


Oh and in case you're wondering, you can find these packets everywhere for more!  Walmart has  them priced at $1.68 and that's less than most grocery stores!  So, you're saving and getting a great meal out of the deal!
Add this easy and affordable dish to your fall/winter recipes.  It's hearty and delicious!

Photobucket

Post a Comment

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.