Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Like A Rock Star - The Details.


 

I'm back and, as promised, I'm sharing a more detailed look into the plans for Munchface's eighth birthday party.  I know, it's in August and I'm crazy for thinking this far ahead... First, have you ever tried to allow a child to make decisions for a party?  They change their minds *like* every hour.  I allow her to have input but what she says she wants in February is it.  No mind changing, no last minute curve balls, nope. None of that... over the years, she's learned and doesn't give me a hard time about her birthday at all once we settle on the theme.  Second, here's where most people hosting an event make a mistake:

 

THEY WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO GET STARTED!
 
I'm not going to say that I don't have to tailor my vision to fit into my busy schedule or that last-minute things don't pop up to derail plans. I will, however, say that I execute 90% of what I want in any event, to include my child's birthday party.
 
She and I discuss the theme.  I leave that conversation and brainstorm my ideas.  From there, I develop a plan.  Sharing with you guys holds me accountable simply by having you guys listen to my plans.  I'm hoping sharing the process helps someone improve their parties, gain some inspiration, meet some fab vendors or just appreciate the party that much more when they arrive as guests.
 
Whatever the case, let's get to the details, shall we?
 
I shared the theme for Munch's BIG 8 birthday bash - A Rock Star Dance Party - yesterday.  To set the tone, the party will have an 80's party feel and is scheduled late afternoon to early evening.  O and the fun will be divided into two parts - typical party activities and fun then the VIP access dance party.

Below is a detailed breakdown of the party based upon the inspiration board I pulled together.  ENJOY!
 
 
1. Glow stick chandelier(s)
 
 
We're going to replace the lighting in the gym with black lights and have the lights off (or low) so the fun glow décor and dress-up things are the focus.
 
Now, I'm not sure how the one photographed above was designed but I would like to anchor the favor table by hanging 2 glow stick chandeliers from the ceiling.  Should be easy enough to slide traditional glow sticks around a wire wreath form (I'll share a tutorial when it's all done).  Wish me luck because, as usual, I don't know if it will work!
 
2. Craft/Lunch Table
 
 
Yep, I'm going to create another hula hoop chandelier... only this time, as a cover for the light fixture over the kitchen table.  I'll incorporate neon ribbons and sparkles.  The table will be set-up with a black sparkle table cloth and neon table settings.  We'll serve heavy snacks (menu plans will be made closer to the date) and drinks in cool rock star cups like these:
 
 
3. Wall Décor
 
 
You know I love to make pinwheels (no? check it out here)! I've got some neon paper left over from a few craft projects and I'm going to create a pinwheel feature wall like this on the main level:

 
The gym is a large empty space that will allow for lots of fun wall treatments!  Foam Core Board with glow-in-the-dark paint splatters on one wall, records and streamers on another, the favor table with a cool backdrop, etc.  So, expect more on that topic as the date nears :)

4. Inflatable Guitars.
 
 
I found inflatable guitars that are, get this, DIY! They come ready for the girls to decorate.  As the guests arrive, they'll decorate the guitars with markers, stickers and glitter glue. 
 
 
We always have a craft and I think this will be the perfect warm-up for the fun.
 
5. Floor(s)
 
I want a red (or hot pink) carpet on the walkway to the front door.  I'll create it with dowels and ribbon.
 
I also want to use glow paint in the party room to create a dance floor.  The gym floor is painted concrete and, although I need to do my research, I think it will be a cool effect.
 
 
6. Glow Ready
 
I saw this pic and KNEW I had to get glow supplies for the girls.
 
 
Before heading downstairs to the dance room, we'll put glow-in-the-dark lipstick, nail polish and tattoos on the girls.  Of course, I'm planning a VIP glamour station for this stuff but I'm also planning to provide glasses and other things on the favor table.  We'll get to the favor table in a few seconds though so... 

7. Cake
 
Munch's birthday cake is always a conversation piece of the party.  Unlike in the past, this year we will have a little more FUN with the design.
 
One layer will look like this cake:
 
 
I love the music notes on the top cake layer of this cake (in our colors of course):

 
The number, music notes and guitar are awesome on THIS cake: 

 
I'm hoping to combine the three elements I love and I'll send these images and guidance to my boo, Misty, and let her take over from there!  I've told you she's AWESOME!
 
8.  Desserts
 
Of course, we will have an assortment of treats. I will not, however, have cupcakes and cookies and cake pops and candy and a big ol' pretty cake.  It only winds up as a whole lot of leftovers.  I want to make smart choices and get just enough of everything.
 
I'm planning to have two dozen cookies, one dozen guitar-shaped cookies:
 

One dozen rock star inspired cookies:
 
 
Cotton candy on glow sticks

Yes, I will be pulling out the cotton candy maker to recreate a glow stick cotton candy display!  O and the menu will have mini portions of yummy foods so the guests (both parents and kids) will have more than enough to enjoy!
 
9.  Favor table
 
In lieu of favor bags, we'll have SWAG bags (just like a fancy VIP event for rock stars, lol).  Please note: there will only be one table in the party room.  On it, I'll place the sweets and SWAG for the little black tote bags we'll rock out with puffy paints and glitter.  SWAG will include:
 
Guitar-shaped lip gloss
 
Chocolate microphones

Microphone bubble wands
 
It will also have glow-in-the dark shades, rock star LED bracelets, guitar pens, neon rock star fedoras... and more!
 
I hope you are as excited as I am to get started.  This is the first time we're hosting a birthday party at OUR home.  I'm excited and nervous and ready to get started... Too soon? You're probably right. I'll just assess the area and plan... until next month (which is TECHNICALLY next week - HA!).

Do you follow me on Pinterest?  If so, you should TOTALLY check out the board I've created (here) to keep tabs on the party products.
 
Photobucket

14 comments

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.