Friday, September 20, 2013

Banana Muffin Tops

Our family loves bananas.  Each of us eats 1/day on average.  Because we eat them on the regular, I have over-purchased bananas.  TECHNICALLY, it's not that I bought too many but that, when I grocery shop, the fresh fruit pales in comparison to the gummy fruit snacks and granola bars in the pantry.  The man would prefer to snack on that stuff rather than those perfect bananas.  What happens to bananas by the end of the week?  This:

 
No bueno.
 
Just so we're clear, I will still eat a semi-brown banana.  Don't judge me... I won't, however, eat one that looks like this:
 
 
Now, I admit that I have set some semi-brown bananas aside with the plan to bake banana bread but... REALLY? I barely have time to survive.  In the case of my recent brown bananas, I set them aside on Thursday and didn't get to bake them until the following Wednesday.  I know.  Don't judge.
 
I thought I'd make banana bread... Then I found a recipe for banana cookies.  Yea, that was THE recipe for me... Until I forgot the printed recipe on my desk at work... I headed home and I winged it.  They were great BUT they didn't turn out like cookies... More like cake but denser...  Like... Hmm..
 
MUFFIN TOPS!
 
Yes, that's right... Muffin tops.  I'm excited about my little moist and gooey muffin tops; they turned out awesome.  LUCKY FOR YOU, I documented how to mess-up a cookie recipe and, in turn, came up with some just as yummy :)
 
Ingredients
 
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup light brown suge
- 2 eggs
- 2 really ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecans
 
Step-by-Steps
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
 
2. Whip butter and brown sugar.  Beat well.
 
3. Add eggs then banana.  Beat well.
 
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to banana mixture.  Once mixed, stir in pecans.
 
5.  Drop tablespoons of dough onto a cookie sheet.
 
6.  Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
 
They were delicious! 
 
Not too sweet... not too banana-y... not too nutty... Just right.
 
Now, maybe I'm the only one but... I have a tendency to watch the first batch like a hawk and pull them out when they're still gooey.  In this case, I was too busy rubbing it in Hubbs' face that they turned out the BOMB to remember that my second batch of cookies was in the oven (they baked for 25 minutes). 
 
Let's just say they were a little more tan than the first batch:
 
 
O but get this, they were still moist and soft!
 
I brought both to work to share and to poll my munching co-workers.
 
Apparently, both were great but the first batch won 6 to 2!
 
Photobucket

 

 

1 comment

  1. I love banana muffins!!! And banana bread! I bet I would love these muffin tops also! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Can I print it off and put it to use at a later date?

    ReplyDelete

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.