Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Craft Vault: The Basic Bow

Happy Leap Year, islanders!  I found some cute printables here because I want to document how Munchface changes from leap year to leap year... I'll post the crafts/recipes from dinner tomorrow... Today, however, I'm serving up another bow tutorial and it's SO easy that even a rookie can do it. ENJOY!!

Basic Bow Tutorial

1. Cut 6" of ribbon. Fold in half to form a crease like so:


 2. Dab hot glue down the crease:


 3. Fold the ends of the ribbon to the glue line. The ends should MEET in the middle

4. Add a dot of glue in the center of your line and squish your bow. Hold for 10 second to allow the glue to cool.

 5. For a professional appearance, create a "dimple" (like the one above).  Do this by turning your bow over and dabbing glue on top of the center "bump" and then again on the bottom (see pic below of reference)

  6. Wrap the center with a small piece of ribbon (that pink ribbon is from the Dollar Tree).  Be sure to leave a flap like below (if it's too long, you can cut it and heat seal later so don't worry) 

 7. Glue your bow to a covered clippie like this one:

7.  Use your ribbon "flap" for added security. Dab a dot of glue on the underside of the clippie's covered portion and wrap the "flap" (hey, that rhymes, lol). Cut any excess "flap" and glue the end down
8. Repeat steps 1-7 to create a matching hair bow because these make PERFECT pig tail bows! 

Isn't it darlin'??


I've used this same technique (with ribbon or fabric scraps) to create headbands... Rather than a hair bow, I've sewn them to onesies for infant bow ties (SO cute - tutorial coming soon), I've used paper versions to create bows for pinatas, garlands, cards, etc.  Don't believe me? Check out this SAME bow technique in action:




The possibilities are endless!  Feel free to get creative and SHARE your projects... I'd love to read about them :)

Linking up:






Oopsey Daisy


Photobucket

3 comments

  1. Wait a second! Did you throw a minnie mouse birthday party? How did I miss this?! Riley's 2nd birthday was Minnie Mouse! Seriously, too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bows and your little one is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bow technique!! You make it look so easy! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete

Children's Cancer Research Gala

*taps mic* Does this thing even work anymore?  Can you hear me in the back? So, the last we spoke, I was sharing a random find.  If...

© Shipwrecked on Fabulous Island. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.